I am co-counsel to the 1199/SEIU Greater New York Pension, Health, Education, Job Security, Labor-Management Cooperation and Child Care Funds – providing benefits to 30,000 members of 1199 Service Employees International Union working in nursing homes in metropolitan New York and New Jersey. Among my responsibilities are the following:
- Handling and supervising arbitrations and federal court litigation to collect employer contributions due to the Funds;
- Establishing collection procedures and cooperative relationships with management to maximize effectiveness and minimize costs of collecting employer contributions;
- Advising funds’ staff and trustees on plan design and operational structure, including preparation of restated plan documents to comply with legislative changes;
- Attending periodic fund trustee meetings, including investment, cost-containment, and appeals subcommittee meetings; drafting trustee resolutions;
- Drafting trust agreements and IRS filings for tax-exempt employee benefit funds;
- Working directly with the Funds’ Chief Operating Officer and staff to design and implement an innovative, complex electronic reporting system to monitor employers’ compliance with collectively bargained staffing requirements;
- Tracking compliance with ERISA 4204 transfers of assets, including obtaining or waiving statutorily required bonds, often requiring complex “controlled group” analyses;
- Collecting 100% of withdrawal liability from closed operations, including enforcing successor employers’ obligations to pay predecessors’ withdrawal liability;
- Coordinating collection of 100% of employees’ and Funds' unsecured claims in bankruptcies;
- Participating in collective bargaining relating to Funds’ and staffing issues.
Before joining Levy Ratner, I was a Partner at Vladeck, Waldman, Elias & Engelhard and Of Counsel at Meyer, Suozzi. Prior to that, I was a litigation associate at Cravath, Swaine & Moore.
Before attending law school, I worked on organizing drives with 1199 Service Employees International Union and District 65 of the United Auto Workers, inspiring me to become a union lawyer. I am a “Nastar” Silver Medalist in downhill ski racing, and an avid member of two book clubs.